All you want to know about... HOUSEHOLDERS - HOME CONTENTS INSURANCE


01. What is Householders Insurance? 02. Coverage
03. Exclusions
What you should know when buying Householders Insurance
04. Insurable Interest 05. Disclosure
06. Insured Value/Sum Insured 07. Average Clause
08. Other Subsisting Insurances 09. Excess
10. Period of Cover 11. Notice of Cancellation
12. What you should know when making a claim more on property insurance >>

01. What is Householders Insurance?

It is insurance to cover the contents of Private Dwelling Houses & Flats/Apartments/Condominiums and residents' property in Hotels, Residential Clubs and Boarding Houses.

  1. The Contents shall include Household Goods and Personal Effects of every description (except as aftermentioned), the Property of the Insured or any member of his family normally residing with him/her and Fixtures & Fittings the Insured's owned or for which he is legally responsible.  If any one article (except furniture, pianos, organs, household appliances, radios, television sets, video recorder sets, Hifi equipment and the like) is of greater value than five (5) percent of the Total Sum Insured, such article is to be specifically declared as a separate item.
  2. The Total Sum Insured must represent the full value of the Contents.
  3. The Policy does not cover Deeds, Bonds, Bills of Exchange, Promissory Notes, Cheques, Securities for money, Stamps, Documents of any kind, Cash, Currency Notes, Bank Notes, Manuscripts, Medals and Coins, Motor Vehicles and Accessories or Livestock.
  4. The total value of Platinum, Gold and Silver Articles, Jewellery and Furs shall be deemed not to exceed one-third (1/3) of the Total Sum Insured unless specifically agreed upon.

[Back to Top]


Your household contents are protected round the clock against the following perils:-

  • Fire, Lightning, Thunderbolt, Subterranean Fire

  • Domestic Explosion

  • Aircraft Damage

  • Impact Damage

  • Bursting or Overflowing of Domestic Water Tanks, Apparatus or Pipes

  • Theft (but only if accompanied by actual forcible & violent breaking in or out)

  • Hurricane, Cyclone, Typhoon, Windstorm

  • Flood

  • Earthquake, Volcanic Eruption

  • Loss of Rent (maximum 10% of Total Sum Insured)

  • Liability to the public (up to RM10,000)

[Back to Top]

The standard policy DOES NOT cover:-
  1. Subsidence or Landslip
  2. Non-Forcible Theft
  3. War, Terrorism, Nuclear and Radioactivity risks

However, you may pay additional premium to cover some of the above exclusions (if required).

[Back to Top]

In order to recover from the benefits of the Policy, you must have the legal right to insure and you must also have suffered a financial loss arising from the happening of any of the contingencies insured.

[Back to Top]

Disclose all material facts, e.g. any previous losses or any insurer who has declined to insure you. If you fail to do so, the Insurer may refuse your claim in the event of a loss. It is important that you complete the proposal form accurately yourself. Delegating the task to the intermediary will not absolve you from the responsibility of the information disclosed in the form.

[Back to Top]

Ensure that your property is adequately insured.

Household Contents Sum Insured:

New Items = Purchase Price

Other Items = Market Value which shall mean the value of the item insured less due allowances for wear and tear and/or depreciation.

[Back to Top]

If at the time of loss, the property insured be of greater value than the sum insured, you shall have to bear a rateable proportion of the loss, e.g.

Value at Risk: RM50,000

Sum Insured: RM30,000

Loss or Damage: RM7,000

Insurer pays: 30,000/50,000 x 7,000 = RM4,200

[Back to Top]

If at the time of any loss or damage there be any other insurances in force covering the same property, whether effected by the insured or any other person, the Insurer shall not be liable to pay or contribute more than its rateable proportion of such loss or damage.

[Back to Top]

It is the amount of loss you have to bear while your insurance company will pay for the balance of the loss or damage claim (if applicable).

[Back to Top]

Not exceeding 12 months unless to coincide with the expiry of other policies effected by you.

[Back to Top]

The insurance may be cancelled at any time by you in writing to the Insurer. The premium refund due to you is subject to calculation of short period insurance rate where applicable. The insurance may also be cancelled by the Insurer serving seven (7) days notice in writing to you. A minimum policy premium of RM75.00 shall be retained by the Insurer.

[Back to Top]

If your insured property is lost or damaged:
  1. Make a police report immediately where applicable
  2. Notify the Insurer immediately and within 30 days thereafter deliver to the company a claim in writing together with detailed particulars and documentary evidence

How to lodge a complaint and redress avenues available:-

Complaint Complaints Unit (CU) of Insurer Complaint Resolved

If you are not satisfied, you may write to either:-

  1. the Customer Service Bureau of Bank Negara Malaysia; or
  2. the insurance mediator at the Financial Mediation Bureau.

Alternatively, you could take your case to court.

[Back to Top]

If you wish to apply for the Householders/Houseowners Insurance coverage, just instruct us by e-mail and we will be sending you the Official Application Form

Click Here To access to other Insurance Services & Details

Please use the 'Back' button on your browser to return to previous page.

WhatsApp or Call our Mobile Service Line 012-6597262 to renew your Motor Insurance!

or if you prefer, you may e-mail us at

@ kooagency web services since Aug 2000